Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Welcome!


So, I'm a little behind the times with the whole "blogging" thing. I should have done it when I spent a semester abroad in Paris...I should have done it as i journeyed through (and still am) business school...but I'm just getting around to it now. My Mom will be so proud that I am starting a blog about cooking...until a year ago, I was quite useless in the kitchen. Justin, my boyfriend, has encouraged me to start a blog for a while to share our cooking adventures with friends and family in the hopes that we would get some great recipes in return. So, the point of this blog is to share new and exciting recipes that we find and try...most will be pretty healthy...and pretty easy because we like simplicity in our cooking. I hope you enjoy the recipes and photos...and perhaps get inspired to try some on your own! Occasionally, we'll post pictures and comments about restaurants we have been to as well, similar to what Justin's sister-in-law, Erica Sorkin, does on her blog (check it out at itzyskitchen.com.) Enjoy! (I have added a picture of Justin and me:)

3 comments:

  1. Excited to see what you two post about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are willing to learn how to cook. The one thing I will say is experiment experiment. Love the handsome couple on the boat!! A fellow foodie. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The following comes from one of Austin's best shacks:

    Mighty Cone Recipe
    3 cup(s) cornflakes
    6 tablespoon(s) slivered almonds
    • 6 tablespoon(s) sesame seeds
    • 6 tablespoon(s) sugar
    • 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) crushed red pepper
    • 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) kosher salt
    • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    • 1/2 cup(s) milk
    • All-purpose flour, for dredging
    • 6 (5-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, sliced lengthwise 1-inch thick
    • Vegetable oil, for frying

    Make the cones: Wipe out the food processor. Add the cornflakes, almonds, sesame seeds, sugar, red pepper, and salt and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a large, shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Fill a third shallow bowl with flour. Dredge the chicken strips in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip them in the eggs, then roll them in the cornflake mixture.
    Set a rack over a rimmed baking sheet. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Working in batches, fry the chicken over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden brown, 6 minutes; transfer to the rack. Set the fried chicken on the tortillas and top with the mango slaw. Roll up and eat right away.

    ReplyDelete